Logs keep information records of selected events occurred in or detected by Kerio Control. Each log is displayed in a window in the Logs section.
Optionally, records of each log may be recorded in files on the local disk and/or on the Syslog server.
Locally, the logs are saved in the files under the
logs subdirectory where Kerio Control is installed. The file names have this pattern:
debug.log). Each log includes a
.idx file, i.e. an indexing file allowing faster access to the log when displayed in the administration interface.
Individual logs can be rotated — after a certain time period or when a threshold of the file size is reached, log files are stored and new events are logged to a new (empty) file.
Kerio Control allows saving a selected log (or its part) in a file as plain text or in HTML. The log saved can be analyzed by various tools, published on web servers, etc.
For Kerio Control admins, logs are actually a vital point to keep your system and network safe as all necessary reports can be found in there.
Step By Step Guide
- In the administration interface, go to Logs.
- Click any of the available log files to load its content.
- Right-click any area in the log file and choose Log Settings.
- In the Log Settings dialog box, select Enable logging to file. This option enables/disables saving to a file. If the log is not saved in a file on the disk, only records generated since the last login to Kerio Control will be shown. After logout (or closing of the window with the administration interface), the records will be lost.
- Select a type of rotation:
- Rotate regularly: Set intervals in which the log will be rotated regularly. The file will be stored and a new log file will be started in selected intervals. The weekly rotation takes effect on Sunday nights. Monthly rotation is performed at the end of the month (in the night when one month ends and another start).
- Rotate when the file exceeds the size: Set a maximal size for each file. Whenever the threshold is reached, the file will be rotated. Maximal size is specified in megabytes (MB).
- Type the number of rotated log files to keep. Maximal count of log files that will be stored. Whenever the threshold is reached, the oldest file will be deleted.
- Click OK.
- If both Rotate regularly and the Rotate when the file exceeds size is enabled, the particular file will be rotated whenever one of these conditions is met.
The setting of statistics and quotas accounting period does not affect log rotation. Rotation follows the rules described above.
The log settings should be reflected as you specified and logs will be kept for any upcoming activity.