This article is for resetting administrator password for GFI Directory which is Active Directory replacement for GFI Archiver and GFI FaxMaker.
Lost or missing password
In order to reset the Administrator password, you will need to use ADSIEdit.
Microsoft Server 2008 and up
- Open command prompt
- Run command line ServerManagerCmd -i RSAT-ADDC
- Once installed you should be able to find it under Administrative Tools
- Open Server Manager
- Select Features
- Select Add Features on the right side of the pane
- Select Remote Server Administration Tools
- Make sure you tick Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services Tools
- Follow the prompt to install (Select Next)
- Once installed, it should be able to be found under Administrative Tools
Resetting the Password:
- Browse to and open ..\GFIDirectory\Directory\Data\ADSettings.xml
- Name the connection GFI Directory for easy reference
- Select Action > Connect To
- Under ConnectionPoint choose Select or type a distinguished name...
Edit the field to the value of BaseDN in the ADSettings.xml (default: CN=GFIPartition,DC=GFIDomain)
- Under Computer choose Select or type a domain or server...
- Edit the field to the value of <Hostname>:<PortNumber> found in the ADSettings.xml (default: localhost:389)
NOTE: If using SSL use the SSL port number defined in the ADSettings.xml (PortNumberSSL) and select the Use SSL-Based Encryption option in ASDIEdit
- Click OK to connect
- Browse to GFI Directory > CN=GFIPartition,DC=GFIDomain > CN=GFIUsers
- Right click on the Administrator account and select Delete
NOTE: The Reset Password option will not give an error, however it does not work.
Browse to the GFI Directory installation directory ...\GFIDirectory\Directory\Tools\DefaultAdministrator
- Run the CreateDefaultAdminUser.exe
NOTE: This can also be run from the CMD Prompt for error checking
- Open GFI Directory
Log in with the following Credentials:
You will be prompted to change your password once logged in.
Content Author: Konrad Ziola