This article provides essential information that must be reviewed prior upgrading from GFI MailEssentials 2012 to GFI MailEssentials 21.5 build 20190321, the step-by-step upgrade process and details to consider after completing the update.
Important notes before upgrading
- A direct upgrade from GFI MailEssentials 2012 to the latest version is not possible. To overcome this limitation, you can first upgrade GFI MailEssentials from version 2012 to version 2014. After that, upgrade from version 2014 to the latest version.
- Ensure your server meets the system requirements.
- The upgrade is not reversible; you cannot downgrade to the previous version after upgrading.
Export the GFI MailEssentials settings before an upgrade. This backup may be useful in case the upgrade fails. For more information refer to Exporting and Importing Settings Manually.
- Save any pending work and close all open applications on the machine before starting the upgrade.
- Log on to your current GFI MailEssentials server as an Administrator or using an account with administrative privileges.
- Log in to the GFI Customer Area and get a new license key. If you forgot your GFI account credentials, Reset Your Password.
- Download the GFI MailEssentials 2014 installer on the server where GFI MailEssentials is currently installed. Download the 32-bit installer or the 64-bit version.
- Right-click the newly downloaded installer and choose Properties. From the General tab, click Unblock and then Apply. This step is required to prevent the operating system from blocking certain actions by the installer.
- Launch the installer. Follow the wizard steps to start the upgrade installation. The new version of GFI MailEssentials is automatically installed in the same directory as the previously installed version.
- If GFI MailEssentials is installed on a server that also includes Microsoft® Exchange, the Post Installation wizard displays the list of Microsoft® Exchange server roles detected and the GFI MailEssentials components required. Click Next to install the required components and complete the wizard.
- When the upgrade from version 2012 to version 2014 is complete, you can proceed to upgrade version 2014 to the latest version.
After configuring all post-install actions, GFI MailEssentials is ready to start protecting and filtering your mail system from malicious and spam emails.
Ensure that GFI MailEssentials blocks unwanted emails. To do this, send inbound and outbound test emails that are purposely composed in such a way that GFI MailEssentials block them.